Green Team Invitation to Celebrate Earth Day Amidst COVID-19
Baptist Church of the Covenant,
This Wednesday, April 22nd, is Earth Day 2020. As we approach this day, the Green Team invites you to join them in celebrating the importance of God’s creation in our lives. We believe this Earth Day is especially important as we are navigating the difficulties of the COVID-19 pandemic. For many of us, nature has become a place of solace, retreat, and restoration during this pandemic. A way to reconnect ourselves to the world while we practice social distancing and quarantining. In other words, we cannot imagine maintaining our physical, mental, and spiritual health without nature during this time.
The fact that nature is both a source of restoration and it is God’s creation is not lost upon us. For many of us, nature is an essential means through which we connect and experience God. As we continue to journey through the COVID-19 pandemic, we are allowing this year’s Earth Day to spark our theological imaginations regarding the importance of nature for our lives. You are invited to join us in reflecting upon and participating within God’s creation.
Our theological reflection began with Earth Day Sunday on April 19th. It will continue with short reflective essays from several Green Team members on the role nature plays in their lives today. Finally, on Wednesday Evening, April 22nd, our reflection will transform into theological imagination as we host an evening Bible Study on the ways God is calling us to care for God’s creation. Join us for this week as we remember that as God’s children, we are integrally connected to God’s creation.
Minister for Community Engagement
- Kristen: Earth Day Reflections (4/23/2020) - 3 minute read By: Kristen Berthiaume Is it just me or has spring in Birmingham been particularly spectacular this year? With the exception of those few stormy times, the season has been made up of bright days with clear blue skies and quiet, cool evenings. Now that the pollen has subsided, the air even feels […]
- Taylor: Back-Porch Reflections on Nature amidst COVID-19 (4/21/2020) - 3 minute read By: Taylor Bell Genesis 1:31: “God saw everything that he had made, and indeed, it was very good. And there was evening and and there was morning, the sixth day.” (NRSV) As I sit on my back porch, retreating in nature from the ever encroaching walls of my house I am struck […]
- Rosemary: Reflection at the Beginning of Earth Week (4/20/2020) - Painting by Gloria Furman 3 minute read By: Rosemary Fisk “The Lord God took the man and put him in the Garden of Eden to work it and take care of it. “– Genesis 2:15 NIV As these solitary days take us back to essentials, I’m absorbing the passing clues of the forest in resurrection […]
- Maundy Thursday Reflection Amidst COVID 19 (4/9/2020) - “Having loved his dear companions, he continued to love them right to the end… ‘So if I, the Master and Teacher, washed your feet, you must now wash each other’s feet. I’ve laid down a pattern for you. What I’ve done, you do.’” John 13: 1c, 14, The Message I wouldn’t say, […]
- Opportunities to Serve our Neighbors amidst COVID-19 (4/1/2020) - By: Taylor Bell 5 minute read Baptist Church of the Covenant, As I wrote last week, Covenant is a church that takes Jesus’ call to “love your neighbor as yourself” incredibly serious. We are a church for whom ministering to our community is simply part of what it means to be “church.” And in […]